1/12/09

Insider: Linda Pratka


name: Linda Pratka

occupation: Founder & Owner of Ilus Dress Rental Boutique in NYC

hometown: Long Island, NY
homebase: Greenwich Village, NY

what is your personal definition of luxury? Personal luxury to me is convenience and anything that makes me feel comfortable and fabulous.

you have a strong love for dresses. if the world were to end tomorrow, what's the one dress in your closet that you'd save for last? For me, the most important thing about a dress is how it makes me feel. I have a gold lace Marchesa dress that makes me feel like a princess. I think I'd have to save that one!

how does Ilus work for the average working fashionista? Ilus is a fabulous way for a woman to feel like a million dollars. For a night. You're not stuck with a dress you'll never wear again, and you didn't spend a month's rent to wear it. It's a win-win proposition!

Ilus is of greek myth origin, how does the name fit with your shop concept? Ilus is actually the Estonian word for beautiful. My parents are from Estonia.

do you netflix? and would you say that Ilus is the netflix for the fashionista? I don't have time for Netflix. I am too busy going to parties and social gatherings, but yes, Ilus is the Netflix of dresses.

what are some of the advantages renting vs buying? Renting offers the following advantages: 1) Less closet clutter 2) Cost-effectiveness 3) You will always have something new to wear.

who are some designers you would love to see in the Ilus selections? We'd love to add Herve Leger and Malandrino. Both are sexy and stylish.

what do you wish to see as the next big and economical "borrowable" trend?
I think the next "borrowable" trend could be toys for kids. They outgrow and get bored of toys so fast.

your boutique lives in Nolita, name some favorite local eateries and drink spots to recommend after a day of dress-shopping? I love Cafe Gitane on Mott Street as well as Jack's Coffee on Elizabeth Street. Both are fabulous!


Marc Bouwer Cross Front Chiffon Gown $145 rent here


Carmen Marc Valvo Chiffon V-neck Cocktail Dress rent $90 here
View all Ilus selections from dresses, gowns, clutches and accessories here.

No comments: