12/10/08

Insider: Chrissie Miller

name: Chrissie Miller

occupation: fashion designer for Sophomore 

hometown: New York City
homebase: New York City

describe the first t-shirt you designed:  It was a rock t-shirt for a fictional band called "The Socialites."  At the time kids were wearing rock t-shirts for bands they had never heard of, so it was a play on that.

do you think tees are making the comeback or have the basics always been part of the drill?
I think for men, they will always wear graphics.  I think it goes in and out for women.  I personally love them so I will always wear 'em.



what do you think of the luxury t-shirts out there?  Like Balmain's $1,500 tee?
J'adore!!!  I only wish I could afford it.

what's the oldest piece of clothing or accessory that's in your closet? A Levi's jean jacket from when I was sixteen.

you once had Britney Spears don the infamous Page Six Six Six t-shirt.  What young, currrent, hot celebrity would you love to see wearing a Sophomore creation?
Britney!  I hear she's making a comeback. 

three pieces of advice to give any young designers who are trying to break out with their first line (especially in midst recession):  
1) Have an original idea, something nobody else is doing.
2) Really spend time envisioning how the collection will look, focus on the feel, look, brand, etc... Make a vision board and write a detailed business plan.
3) Grow organically.  Spend money as you can afford to.


one place in New York City that you've always wanted to go to, but to this day never have?
I've never been to the top of the Chrysler Building!  That sounds fun.


what was the last great movie you watched that put such an inspiration into your work?

what's your bag and what's in it?
It's a small vintage black suede fringe bag and inside is my wallet, Blackberry, vitamins and keys. I'm easy. 

Shop Sophomore here.

*Photo of Chrissie Miller by Todd Selby
*Sophomore Fall '08 photos care of Cass Bird

No comments: